Saturday, March 5, 2011

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Riches

And the man's junk we found this past week is definitely our treasure. It certainly was my "Find of the Week". Actually, for the past couple of years I have eyed this piece of junk over the bank in the tall weeds as I drove the highway back and forth to town. I never had the courage to go knock on the door and ask about it, though. I guess I needed my mom. She has that kind of intrepid nature that doesn't hold back over a little timidity. I pointed it out and she had me pull off the road.

We've been discussing building a greenhouse. Brianna had asked for one for her 16th birthday. We were thinking about a hoop house built of pvc with roll up sides. I was researching plans and ideas, but when we took a look at the "junk" over the bank at the edge of an apricot orchard all other plans and ideas fled away. What we found was 3 huge awnings that were free for the taking. We had Steve take a look and then go rent a 20 foot trailer.




 As you can see, it's going to take a little work to weld the pieces together and to cut out unneeded bars. We'll mount the frame and cover with greenhouse plastic. The third awning will be either cut in half and added to the end of the first greenhouse, or we'll use it as a half greenhouse set up against a wall. It's pretty amazing and exciting to find something like this that fulfills our need so well. I believe God had a hand in it. This is a blessing straight from heaven.
Brianna is proudly displaying a book on greenhousing that she received for her birthday to go with her new greenhouse. We'll be chowing on fresh garden produce before you know it! Just you watch.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I found your new blog first! I can't wait to see how things progress for this greenhouse! What a great find! Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kool! It is amazing how God is interested in our "little things". Having mom is great too! Still learning from them!

    Go Brianna!!

    ReplyDelete